Chateau Peyaud / Domaine de Ricaud / Chateau Ballan-Larquette
This week we are going to discover a vineyard of the “entre-deux-mers AOC”.
Here is a winemaker who will turn into lies all the prejudices of the connectivity of Bordeaux vineyards!!
Family owned for six generations, the Chaigne vineyards are the result of a union. Indeed, the Domaine de Ricaud and the Château Ballan Larquette found each other by the marriage of the parents of current owner: Regis Chaigne.
After getting an engineering degree at the Ecole Centrale de Lyon, Regis Chaigne faced a choice: accept the sell of the homestead, or take it over from his parents.
The decision did not take long to be taken for this lover of Vines and Wine, and passionate about his land.
If you ask him which is his work philosophy, Regis (right in photo) will say that he has three key words that apply to his work: safety (for consumers and employees), quality (for the product, the upstream work and in relationships), and productivity.
But, what does this wine lover seeks when he is creating these wines? Well, Essentially a double pleasure. A pleasure to make it, and fun to drink it. But also a righteous wine, fruity and reflecting soil properties.
Side project: the little team spirit is in place to concoct a special vintage Malbec!
- 42 hectares
- Production: 7 wines, Ballan Larquette (100% Merlot AOC Vin de Pays de L’Atlantique), Domaine de Ricaud (Entre-deux-mers), Château Peynaud (Bordeaux Supérieur), Château Ballan Larquette (Bordeaux Clairet), Château Ballan Larquette (Bordeaux rosé), Château Ballan Larquette (Bordeaux) dry white and red
- Soil: clayey siliceous limestone
- Grape varieties: Merlot, Sauvignon, Semillon, Muscadelle, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. Vines and beautiful palettes of flavors
- No thermovinification
- No barrel for breeding but use of substitutes such as wood chips (on certain wines)
- Production: 300,000 bottles
For the anecdote the Chaigne vineyards are, to my knowledge, the only ones to put on their cap their twitter address…. the property connected to the cap.
Go to the ”Vert De Vin” tasting : tasting of three wines:
- Château Ballan Larquette 2010 (Bordeaux):
beautiful ruby color, nose with aromas of black fruit, gooseberry and leather wine …. It first develops flavors of black cherry, ripe strawberry, and is identified by a touch of spice on the finish. It has a nice roundness.
A wine that I would happily associate with a beef tataki.
- Château Peynaud 2009 (Bordeaux Supérieur):
pretty purple color developing on the nose aromas of cassis, licorice, tobacco and plum …. In the mouth it will amaze your palate with notes of strawberry, black fruit nectar … A well-structured
A perfect nectar to accompany, for example, zucchini stuffed with lamb.
- Domaine de Ricaud 2010 (Entre-deux-mers):
a bewitching nose with flavors of grapefruit, lemon, white flowers, but also dried pineapple. It also develops mineral notes on the palate. A very fresh wine that I recommend for this summer
Personally this summer I would have this wine associated with a salmon sashimi with ginger and hot sesame oil.
See you next week to discover a new wine!
Thanks to Regis Chaigne for the time they have given!
Tél : +33 (0)5 56 76 46 02